A tasty way to mount

RESTAURANT: 100 Montaditos 
DATE: July 11, 2014
LOCATION: 176 Bleecker Street 


Montar is the Spanish verb for "to mount." In this case we are mounting tiny little baguettes with tasty toppings, hence a montadito is a little stacked up sandwich. I saw this restaurant while walking through the West Village back in April. The menu brought me immediately back to my time abroad in Madrid. Across the street from my school there was this small divey bar that served super cheap, super simple and super delicious baguette sandwiches. My favorite was the chuleta with cheese. (Chuleta is like a breaded pork loin). I didn't go there in April, because Jeanne and I had already decided on Mexican and because i'm so wildly indecisive I decided it was best to just stick to the aforementioned plan. 

So, enjoying that I had half a day of work and my nephew/bodyguard with me I decided to try this place out. We ordered 6 little sandwiches and an order of the Brava Potatoes. 

I will preface by saying that the bread on all of these was the same, slightly toasted and genuinely delicious. Also, each sandwich is 2 or 3 bites max. 

#07 Tortilla Española with Chorizo - The egg was cold, which i think is usually the case but I prefer when they serve it room temperature. The potato in the tortilla was too grainy or mushy or hummus-like. I didn't care for this one
#11 Meatballs with Bacon - this one was my favorite, the bacon goes undetected, but the meatballs and the sauce were delicious.
#29 Philly steak, cheddar cheese, piquillo pepper and crispy onion - I didn't try this one, but Fidel said it tasted like chili
#45 Chicken, green pepper, fresh tomato and ali oli - I didn't try this one either,  Fidel said it tasted like chicken salad. 
#47 BBQ pulled pork, cream cheese, bacon and ali oli - My nephew and I don't like cream cheese so we decided to split it so neither of us would have to suffer through the whole thing. However, he said it was his favorite one. I couldn't get passed the tangy cream cheese taste, so this worked out well. 
#52 Garlic Pork Loin, fresh tomato, lettue and mayo - I had the highest hopes for this one, but the pork loin was served more like a carved deli meat, and I wanted it to be more like a warm piece of pork steak. I put some ali oli on it and it boosted the taste a bit. 
The Bravas came with spicy ketchup and ali oli - I didn't like this ketchup, it was spicy but also had like a vinegar-y taste to it. The ali oli, at first looked like tartar sauce, but it was delicious and I put it on everything. The potatoes themselves were not very "mad" at all, but they made a decent wedge, more like a fresher version of KFC's. 

Overall I'd revisit in hopes that the 2nd go around is more satisfying, but I would try to come back on a Wednesday when all the montaditos are only $1 a piece. And at very least, I can come back for the cheapest sangria around. It was $4 a mug, and it was reminiscent of the sangria i'd drink in Spain. 




cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate