Tapas, Tapas! I Would Eat Them Anywhere!

RESTAURANT: El Quinto Pino
DATE: June 17, 2014
LOCATION: 401 West 24th Street, 9th Ave.


So far, on my gastronomic adventure, whenever I've eaten somewhere I really enjoyed, I couldn't wait to write & share the foodie experience.  Last month, our little group went to El Quinto Pino, an intimate and cute Spanish tapas restaurant in Chelsea.  This time, the experience was quite different.  EVERYTHING we ordered was just so delicious, it (almost) leaves me speechless.  Although I love a good meal, my food vocabulary palette just cannot describe or dissect thoroughly the tapas goodness.  Everything was just so tasty, yummy and gratifying... I could end this blog post right here and say it's an open & shut case: Good food, try everything, order to your hearts' content!  But of course, it wouldn't be me without giving the extensive long of it, so here it goes :)


We first sat at the small bar in the front and drank a robust red sangria.  When the rest of our group arrived, we moved towards the back to the dining room.  This is the list of all (or most) of the tapas that I can remember.
  •          Huevos Rellenos (deviled eggs)
  •          Crispy creamy Serrano ham croquettes
  •          Nuestras Bravas (signature rough cut potatoes with spicy aioli)
  •          Fideúa- Valencian toasted noodle paella, shrimp, squid, aioli
  •          Torreznos- Castillian cracklin’ bag of bacon!
  •          Tortilla Española (Classic egg and potato omelet)
  •          Calamarala Plancha- Calamar,squidjus, parmesan cheese, black garlic
  •          Uni Panini- Sea urchin sandwich
  •          Bocadillo de Calamar- Flash fried squid po’ boy, spicy aioli, lettuce, tomato
  •          Lomo- House cured pork loin sandwich, melted cheese, piquillo pepper


It's almost unfair to highlight my favorites, since there really can't be any favorites here... everything is worth ordering!  However, there were dishes I was more than eager to order & eat another round of (and that we did!) 




The huevos rellenos are not your everyday homemade deviled eggs.  The velvety yolk is topped with a creamy green sauce.  And what is a Spanish tapas restaurant without ham croquettes?  (Note: one order has only 2 croquettes, so you would definitely need more than 1 plate!)  These Serrano ham croquettes were definitely one of the more smooth and creamy croquettes I've ever had.  I think Dr. Seuss must've been inspired by a trip to Spain... Because I do like them, for sure I am, I would eat them here or there, I would eat them anywhere!  I do so like green (deviled) eggs and ham (croquettes)!  They are so good, so good you see! 


Up until now, Boqueria in Flatiron had my favorite patatas bravas.  While Las Ramblas in the West Village has some good tapas, their version was mostly patatas, not so much bravas.  It's hard to mess up a good potato dish, so El Quinto Pino doesn't disappoint.  If anything, they surpass 'just good' for a standard Spanish potato dish and quite possibly edges out Boqueria's potatoes.  The potatoes are fried to crispy perfection and sprinkled with red pepper... but what gives El Quinto Pino the extra brownie points (Mmm brownie) is that they douse plenty of spicy aioli sauce to ooze and drip onto every piece of potato. 


Speaking of aioli sauce... Ahhhh the Fideúa.  I think, no, I KNOW I had reached noodle noshing nirvana when I chowed down this toasted noodle paella!  This is a unique tapa that I never had before.  The Asian in me was really curious about the combination of noodle + paella.  The noodles were cut short but I can't even complain about that.  This dish married 2 of my food favorites: noodles & aioli!!!  The shrimp and squid were merely pleasant precursors before stabbing my fork relentlessly at this noodle heaven.  As the self-proclaimed Noodle Nosher, this was subjectively my favorite of the night, as it is one dish I don't think you can find at every tapas restaurant.




The torreznos are a bag of little bacon chips, so if you're a bacon lover, go for it!  The bacon fanatics in our company went for a second round.  I like bacon but one bag was enough for me to nibble on.  We only had 1 plate of the tortilla española, which is a Spanish staple, so this can be found anywhere.  It was one of the better tortillas I've had though.  The calamarala plancha might be the only dish I would have passed on, not because it wasn't good, but because of how small the dish is to share with our group.  And that's saying a lot as tapas already are literally small plates.  



As for the sandwiches, the sea urchin was the least favorite around the table.  The texture of the sea urchin wasn't a crowd pleaser.  I think the horseradish-like sauce made it a make-it-or-break-it deal.  The lomo pork loin sandwich was satisfying.  The bocadillo de calamar is probably the safest sandwich to order when you love fried food with creamy mayo.

Bottom Line: Cozy and comforting food. Try anything and everything that catches your eye & speaks to your stomach. More than likely it will be a hit.

Happy Noshing, Jeanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate