Fancake of the Pancake

RESTAURANT: Clinton Street Baking Co.
DATE: April 8, 2014
LOCATION: 4 Clinton Street New York, NY 10002

This month’s restaurant selection was up to me, and I decided to go to Clinton Street Baking Company. Known for their pancakes and baked goods, I ordered the Shrimp and Grits, because I do things like that. But let me backtrack, because before my shrimps came out we had about 100 other plates of food on the table. Okay, let me start from the real beginning.


I arrived and 3 of the usual suspects were already drinking some french Rhône white wine. Vivian had guessed before I arrived that “Esther doesn't drink wine,” but unknowingly I accepted a glass anyway because who says no to booze? Not this girl. So I take one sip, immediately regret it, and then state “I don’t like this.” Shocker. I like my wine saturated with fruits, and other possibly other liquors, this was not that. Shortly after stating I didn't like the wine, Vivian knocked it over. A bit drastic, I thought, just because I didn't like it didn't mean I wasn't going to finish it. I grew up having to clear my plate, and I like to apply that rule to liquor as well. Finally, there was only one person missing from the table, and as a rule we start ordering so that by the time that person arrives the food is out. (That’s not actually a rule...yet. But I think it needs to be implemented). So here is what we ordered:


Lollipop buffalo chicken wings… These things always remind me of a person’s skinny leg, whose sock has slouched all the way down below his ankle. They were delicious.


Fried Green Tomatoes… The tomato wasn't very sour, the breading was on the bland side.


Truffle oil Brussels spouts… These tiny cabbage heads came out shredded, which caught us all by surprise. So, essentially it was like Brussels sprout coleslaw. Amusing presentation, underwhelming taste. Once you've had a Brussels sprouts drenched in bacon juice, you really don’t like them any other way.


Cured sugar bacon… tasted like regular bacon to me. Everyone else seemed enamored with it.


Potato Skins… not even worth talking about.


Biscuits… These were complimentary, and also they were amazingly delicious. Tiny, so you can eat several, and fluffy on the inside, and not grossly dry on the outside. Way to go biscuit!


Amazingly, after all this most of are still hungry and anticipating our entrees!


Cue the Shrimp and Grits, with a side of fried green tomatoes…
For some reason the fried green tomatoes that came with my meal tasted better than the ones we ordered as an appetizer. The breading was fried much crispier, and had much more flavor. The shrimps themselves were very plump and meaty. The creole sauce that was all over my shrimps and my grits wasn't bad. It wasn't spicy, as promised by the menu, but it did have a peppery undertone that kept accumulating. The grits were pretty good, but I've had better here and since I was still expecting to eat pancakes for dessert, I didn't eat as much of the grits. Priorities, people, priorities!


dun dun dun... Here come the pancakes! These pancakes were fluffy and airy and delicious. I forgot I don’t like hot fruit so the blueberries, which normally I love (cold), semi ruined my pancake tasting. What saved the experience? Swiping the blueberry compote off my stack, and ladling the accompanying delicious maple butter all over my half of the pancakes with a spoon. Maple butter = delicious. Actually I’ll be honest, it tasted like regular warm melted butter to me, but it either way it was still delicious.


I have two morals for today’s story.
1. Just go straight to the pancakes, do not pass go.
2. Butta is betta!

If you want to read more about Clinton's Baking, check out Jeanne's review here.


May your meals be ever in your flavor,
-Estha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate