A cakey Easter story

Before I start this entry, please be advised that this post is more of a story of food, a diary entry of my taste buds. It's not a review of a restaurant you can go visit and it's not a recipe I'm going to share, mainly because I don't have it, and secondly because if I did I wouldn't give it to you because family recipes are private! Don't be nosy. 

Growing up, I hated yellow or white cakes. If the bread inside wasn't chocolate, I wasn't going to eat it, no matter how much my parents wanted me to "just have one bite." Yellow cake - no; Chocolate cake - yesSomething else I don't like about cakes in general is frosting or icing, it's thick and gross and sugary. With time I slowly added other desserts to my short list of non-chocolate (N.C.) desserts that are acceptable for consumption. Pumpkin pie being the main contender on the N.C. list, and then I eventually accepted the blueberry muffin, and the slice of banana bread in to the club. (Neither of which I consider yellow cake).

And then I met Lil' Ms. Strawberry Mousse (strawmousse for short) in the Winter of 2012. I had re-examine my cake discrimination because the cake was white. It was at Aunt Dimi's Christmas that I discovered the latest member of the N.C. desserts list.  Luckily for you folks, on this lovely and light Easter day, Strawmousse made a reappearance. 


I'd just had a huge amount of food and was sitting very still on the account of a food coma, trying desperately to digest quicker, when I was called back to the table for dessert. How could I justify eating more food when the last piece of lamb chop I had was probably still stuck in esophagus traffic?!?!

It's airy, I negotiated with myself, and surely there's room in my body for air.
And it's so moist, and I need to moisturize my insides to get the rest of the food to move down quicker!!! Case closed, what followed was a quick and ungraceful shoveling of cake into my face.

I'm lying, I knew the cake was coming and had committed to having a piece before I'd even arrived, there was no negotiating. I just failed to leave myself the room for it, because ..food.


The white cake is moist and airy, but mainly it's just so delicately flavored that it sits perfectly well after a huge meal. This baby pink whipped topping is, I'm guessing, the love child of a bowl of homemade whipped cream and a gang of strawberries that happened to cross its path. It's AMAZING. The strawberries make the whole thing absolutely refreshing. Like maybe on a hot summer day instead of a glass of water, I could just have a slice of this cake and i'd feel cool and replenished. 

I've had this cake 3 times since I first met it in Winter of 2012, and I dream of it fondly as the time approaches when I'll see it again. I never take an extra piece home because there's something romantic about having certain things only at holidays, it makes it special, and I want to keep it that way. 

Until December Strawmousse, until December. 




-Estha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate