Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!


RESTAURANT: Mighty Quinn's
DATE: March 3,2014
LOCATION:103 2nd Ave New York, NY 10003

 
 

Mighty Quinn’s BBQ – definitely packed with mighty taste at this East Village eatery.  At the corner of 6th Street & 2nd Ave, this casual space is very warm and inviting with its reclaimed wooden tables and walls.  The front window looks like a glass garage door... I wonder if it actually opens up during the summertime.  (Note:  We were here during poofy down-coat weather, so it is a bit chilly and drafty sitting by the glass window, which also is in the crosswind from the front door!)  The food at Mighty Quinn’s does not fall short in letting only its strong, rustic décor speak for its appeal. Behind the carving counter, the meats are slow cooked and smoked with wood. 

I’m usually not a brisket person, as apparently I haven’t had a good brisket up until now.  The great thing about eating with friends is getting to taste a bit of other items from the menu.  I only had one bite of the brisket, but it was a memorable morsel.  The brisket was tender and had that melt-in-your mouth taste.  Next, I tried a spare rib which easily fell off the bone.  Usually BBQ food is messy and drippy, with only tiny diner napkins to keep yourself from needing a tide-to-go stick.  But here, each table has a bottle of Mighty Quinn’s BBQ sauce so you can add as much or as little sauce as you want.  The food has enough flavor alone to not need the added sauce. However, I’m always a fan of dousing sauces for an added boost, so I liked the self-serving amount of sweetness.

Since I didn’t have any expectations of the BBQ food to be good as it was, I ordered the chicken wings (and just because I was in the mood for wings).  The wings tasted as good as they looked.  These were saucy wings sprinkled with sesame and scallions.  The sauce was juicy and had a savory tang (for the mild & spicy-phobic, it MAY be considered to have an ever-so-slight spicy kick). 

As for the sides, the coleslaw is as good as a slaw you can get without a heavy mayo.  The Belgian fries were fresh and tasty, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  The drawback was that the fries were short and stumpy.  I would’ve liked to have indulged in long cut fries rather than nibbling on potato (I say po-TAY-to, you may say po-TAH-to) nublets.  However, I must have not been the only one that liked the coleslaw and fries... since I only had a couple of mouthfuls before the person sitting next to me chowed them down, leaving me in devastation of only crumbs and scraps left!  But perhaps the best side I would like to get next time is the Sweet Potato Casserole.  My eyes rolled in satiated happiness and I had that warm, cozy feeling that hugs you on a cold NY wintery night.  The pecans add an amazing depth with its contrasting crunchy texture.

Bottom Line (as per a fellow foodie): Get the brisket, skip the bread/sandwich option, order the sweet potato casserole & get an extra side instead.  "Better use of calories" :)

Happy Noshing!


If you want to read more on Mighty Quinn's, check out Esther's review here:


  
 
 

Comments

  1. Hana Park Kim (and G.Gong)June 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

    Reading your posts and looking at the pictures of all the yummy food makes me sooo hungry! Great job, Jeanne!

    p.s. I made George read your blog with me =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana!! :) Haha and thanks for making him finally read it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate