Santa Rita in Austin Texas

This wasn't the last stop on my latest Austin Adventure, but it was definitely my favorite. Santa Rita Cantina is adorable with its updated take on a Mexican themed fiesta. The oranges, and pinks make the place feel bright, airy and happy. The artwork is displayed in a very clean and modern manner. I was poised to love this place from the moment I walked in and luckily the food didn't disappoint. It is definitely a huge let down when a place is so cool and fun and then the food is mediocre. First I ordered a margarita! Yay, margaritas! I started to sip one before our appetizer came out, but then remembered that if I drink too much before my food shows up I can't taste it, so I stopped and then didn't pick it back up until after I was half way through my entree. 

I INTERRUPT THIS POST TO BRING YOU A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
We got chips and salsa, and I realize now that I have left something out that is very important from my Texas posts. Ever since my first trip to Austin last July I noticed that every time we got salsa with our chips, the salsa was OUTSTANDING. In New York, when I go to a Mexican restaurant I can judge how good it's going to be based on the salsa. Is it from a jar of Tostitos salsa? Is it fresh? Is it spicy? Every small bowl of salsa I got in Texas was so good I would drink it like a little soup if you gave me a spoon. Fresh, watery, YES it should be watery because the ingredients are fresh and tomatoes release a lot of water, spicy but not overwhelmingly so. FRESH INGREDIENTS. I used to hate salsa because it always tasted like the stuff from the chip aisle that comes in the jars. Turns out I just wasn't eating real salsa. I would bathe in the salsa I get in Austin, so long as I had no papercuts. 


Ok so what else did I eat?     I started with the Quesadilla Supremo: Large flour tortilla stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, melted cheeses and authentico sauce; served with pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole on the side ($8). I think hands down it's my most favorite thing that I ate on this trip. All the vegetables were savory and so very substantive, that I forgot there was no meat in this thing. I followed with the Fajita Salad: Mixed leaf lettuce with a choice of grilled chicken or steak fajita, grilled peppers and onions, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole ($9). Here is my complaint: I was so full from the quesadilla I had to give my boo part of my steak because there pieces were so big. That's not really a complaint. I have no complaints. I want to come here everyday! AND I remembered to take photos of not only the food, but also of the decor and ambiance! Woo-hoo!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate