Pizza in Austin

DATE: JAN 2016
LOCATION: Brooklyn Pie Co
Burnet Road Austin, TX

Hey Y'all!
I just got back from another trip to ATX. And my favorite thing to do when I go away is eat, so I'm about to hit you with a bunch of awesome food! Pizza, Coffee, tacos, and burgers oh my! Let's start at the beginning shall we! 

I am a New Yorker, my fiance is a New Yorker and with our decision to move to Texas we knew we would miss pizza. Not only miss it, but be real stubborn about finding a GOOD enough replacement. On our first few trips to Austin we decided to just load up on the barbecue and the Tex-Mex because we needed to acclimate our palettes. And by we I mean me because I'm kind of a spicy light weight. Since my fiance now officially lives there and this was my fourth trip out I figured it was time to get some research done. I looked up a few lists titled something like "Best Pizza in Austin." I Studied their reviews, their photo documentation and figured that we'd hit up at least one place my first night there.  I arrived at 5pm and was tired and dusty and hungry so we just went across the street from our apartment to a place called Little Woodrows. It turned out that this place is ONLY a bar; however, it conveniently shares a building with a food source.  The truth is that we found a rogue menu in the bar part of the establishment and didn't even notice the name of it, but decided we'd order a appetizer platter. I walked over to the restaurant part to place the order when I noticed the door said Brooklyn Pie Co. I looked at the other side of the menu and noticed the item "Giant Cheese Slice," so I decided to take a chance on it. I sauntered back to my table and I informed my fi-fi about the surprise food item I added to our order. A short while later, while we're sipping on beer and conceitedly discussing how lofty a name like Brooklyn Pie Co. was, a waiter came out with a slice of pizza the size of my flippin' head! HUGE. HUGGGGE. It was essentially the size of two decent slices in NY. While he got up to get napkins I just went for it and took a big ol' bite. It was good. It was better than good, it was authentic. The crust was thin and crispy, and most importantly it cracked when halved and held its shape when I folded it. The cheese stretched as it should have and did not congeal. There was just the right amount of sauce. My one teeny complaint was maybe it could've used an itty bit more oregano. I can't commit to saying it's just as good as NY pizza, I will leave that judgement to someone more qualified, but what I do know is we've both definitely had way worse pizza in NY. So based on size, price ($4.50 for essentially 2 slices) and the convenience of walking across the street, this slice really knocked it out of the park.  

On to Coffee and Dessert!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate