The Obsession Continues

DATE: July 12th, 2015
LOCATION: UrbanSpace Broadway Bites @ Greeley Square Park
32nd-34th Street, between Broadway & 6th Ave

My obsession with food markets continues.  The most recent haunt was at UrbanSpace Broadway Bites in Greeley Square Park.  For those that don't think they know where that is, it's that triangle block around Herald Square, below 34th Street, that splits Broadway and 6th Ave.  Since that area is usually teeming with tourists and a flurry of shoppers, it's hard to actually take the time to notice this nice slice of space.  Of course, it took a food feast to get my attention, when I'm usually swiftly weaving through the hoards of people.  I was excited to finally get a chance to check it out 2 weeks ago.


Broadway Bites is a culinary pop-up shop, lined with various artisans showcasing their signature bests and innovative dishes.  Another reason for my obsession with food markets, it consists of popular restaurants located in one place, albeit an express version.  I recognized names of several food fares, such as Asia Dog, Domo Taco, Hill Country BBQ, Mason Jar, Mexicue, Momofuku and Red Hook Lobster.  I meandered back and forth trying to decide which shop I wanted to try out.  I finally kept coming back to Taco Bono, just because I saw they had patatas bravas.  I was torn on eating something small, like an empanada, as it was a hot, summery day in July and I didn't want to have anything too heavy.  But I ordered a short ribs taco since it sounded interesting.  And I'm so glad that I did!  I had the chimichurri short ribs taco, with manchego cheese and peppers



MMM-MMM-GOOD!!  Nosh heaven!  Nom nom nom!  And what sealed the deal was when I realized that Taco Bono is by Macondo, a tapas place I have been eyeing for awhile now.  The short ribs were impeccable, tender and succulent.  The chimichurri, cheese and peppers coalesced in perfect harmony with the ribs.  Delicious and oh so good!  This wasn't a taco you could pick up with your hands, otherwise all the ingredients and juices would just continually spill over.  They gave me a hearty portion which I picked off with a fork and tore at the tortilla.  I had no intentions of writing about this foodie day out, but I just had to share my mouth-watering foodie experience.  The patatas bravas were  good but not the favorite this day.  I did like that they let you take extra brava sauce, but I ended up not needing most of it, as they already doused a generous amount. 



I was there that day with 2 of my cousins, who inquired if we should find some relief from the heat and go somewhere indoors to the cool AC of Manhattan Mall to eat our food.  However, I strongly disapproved of this idea, since part of a food experience isn't just WHAT you're eating but WHERE you're eating it.  UrbanSpace is about creating rich, enjoyable environments... so part of the Broadway Bites experience is to be a part of the Greely Square environment.  Especially considering we're in the middle of not just one of the busiest cities, but one of the more heavily trafficked areas of that city, it's nice to be able to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the atmosphere.  The other beauty of staying in the park is 1) eating in the park (hello, al fresco dining!) and 2) the cool AC otherwise would take away the fresh warmness of the just-made food.  Also, who wants to walk through a crowd of people with a tray of amazing food for them to gawk at & breathe all over??  We managed to grab a table with an umbrella, so that we were shaded from the hot sun but still able to enjoy Greeley Square.  (Don't worry, we got some relief from the heat afterwards that day by roaming the cool-ACed stores for some post-lunch shopping!)

The other perk of sitting among all the food stalls, I discovered another great gem.  I was really thirsty and noticed we were sitting not too far from Renegade Lemonade(Sorry, no pics!)  This place actually rivals Taco Bono as my favorite 'foodie' moment that day!  (But we can call it a draw and give it favorite beverage moment of the day... lol.)  I was intrigued by the various lemonade flavors they had: Peach Mint, Passion Fruit Hibiscus and Strawberry Basil.  I wasn't sure which flavor I wanted to get, since they all sounded delicious.  The girl behind the stall gave me a sample of each.  I thought once I sampled each one, I would know which drink is my favorite.  But that confused me even more, because they each were all SO GOOD in their own right!  Refreshing, thirst-quenching, satisfying, I want to go back for more!  The lemonades tasted fresh and healthy, as they are made from real fruit and herbs.  Each flavor combination was incredible.  The fruit gives it the perfect sweetness without tasting loaded with all the fake sugary substitutes.  The Peach Mint is great if you want it to taste lighter on the sweet side.  The Strawberry Basil is the fruitiest tasting one, with the Passion Fruit Hibiscus not far behind in the sweet, fruity flavor.  I didn't think I would like the Passion Fruit Hibiscus because while I like passion fruit, I've tried a hibiscus tea from Starbucks and disliked it.  Anyways, even after trying each sample, I took another minute to decide which lemonade to get.  I finally ordered a large Strawberry Basil.  It was such a well-crafted and innovative concoction, I made a conscious effort to take my time savoring this drink.  This by far is my most favorite lemonade ever, as Renegade Lemonade is successful in achieving their mission "to serve the freshest quality, creative, unique, and thirst quenching seasonal lemonade and beverages around."  It also didn't hurt that it was just THE perfect beverage to have on that hot, summery day.  I only wish they had a Manhattan store location once Broadway Bites is gone.  Right now, they seem to only operate in the pop-up food market arena.  

Bottom Line: Broadway Bites has so many great options to choose from.  If you stop by Taco Bono by Macondo, try the Chimichurri Short Rib taco, this did not disappoint.  It has a melding of flavors that makes this dish so savory and succulent.  And if you just happen to be around 34th Street, parched, and in dire need of something thirst-quenching, do not bother stopping at a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts... go straight to Renegade Lemonade and try any one of their fantastic flavors!


Happy Noshing, Jeanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate