A Like-I-Love-You Confession

DATE: June 11th, 2015
LOCATION: Chelsea Market
75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16 Streets), New York, NY 10011 

I'm really discovering a love for the food market/hall type spaces... as is evident in places I've ventured to this year, such as City Kitchen and Philly's Reading Terminal Market.  I have a like-I-love-you affinity to these vast food options and deciding at the last minute what my stomach's craving.  Last month, for the first time, I went to Chelsea Market.  I didn't realize it was such a stylish and trendy market full of multiple stores, flea markets and food shops.  Whenever I've heard of Chelsea Market before, I just assumed it was one large famer's market or a type of Trader Joe's grocery store.  This is not your soccer mom's suburban mall, flanked by department stores and lower-grade food courts (although I admittedly do enjoy the free toothpick samples of chicken teriyaki & an Auntie Anne's Pretzel).  It is a trendier way of making food courts fun in the city.



There are so many options from Buddakan to Num Pang.  On this day, we went with a fast, simple and cheap selection, Los Tacos.  I ordered 2 corn tacos, the Carne Asada (grilled steak) and the Adobada (marinated pork).  I LOVE when there is a self-serve option for toppings and ingredients.  At the counter, there were 3 bowls of spices.  Not surprisingly, I went for all 3 to get the variation of spices.  The "mild" just looked like a pica de gallo, with the tomato & onion bits.  The medium was a green salsa and the red naturally was the spicy.  I put a mix of all these on both of the tacos. 

Carne Asada
Adobada

With no particular order, I went for the carne asada first.  I thought the grilled steak was cooked well and tasted fresh.  It was enjoyable and pleasant until I took a bite out of the adobada.  The pork tasted well-marinated and juicy, I loved this one so much more that I wanted to break up with grilled steak and replace him with another adobada!  There's not much more I can say to elaborate on how good the marinated pork taco was, aside from you must try this the next time you're in need of a taco fix and around Chelsea Market!  Oh, and did I mention that the tacos were each under $4?

Bottom Line: Los Tacos is a great, cheap food selection in Chelsea Market.  While the grilled steak taco was good, the adobada was the one that amazed my taste buds.

Happy Noshing, Jeanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate