West Coast Eats: In Cod We Trust




I’ve noshed my way up the Pacific Coast Highway, and by now, you probably may think I’ve loved everything I’ve eaten from San Diego, through LA, Santa Barbara, up to San Francisco. Which isn’t exactly the case, I just tend to blog about the golden nuggets I’ve eaten along my west coast travels. (Mmm nuggets.) I had high expectations for a good fried fish, whether it was a fish taco, fish sandwich/roll, or fish & chips.

After a week and half of fresh but not quite perfect fish tacos and rolls… enter The Codmother Fish & Chips. Located closely by Fisherman’s Wharf, this shining blue food truck stands strong in all the seafood glory. The Mr. & I did the tourist thing around Fisherman’s Wharf, ate some lobster rolls, crab rolls & clam chowder. Pleasantly edible but nothing memorable to mention over there. Afterwards, we walked somewhat off the beaten path to a street filled with several food trucks and stands, some with a small seating areas. But worry not, it’s not so far off the beaten path, since it literally is situated right by this tourist area.







It’s easy to just breeze right past this food truck, as it sits several feet inside a steel-fenced corner, but if you’re lucky to leisurely stumble by and catches your eye, definitely stop here, and settle down at one of the picnic tables while you wait for your fish & chips order to be called. This is exactly what we did, and at first my gluttonous appetite was impatient that it was going to take several minutes for the order to be ready. But since our order was being freshly made on the spot, it totally was worth the wait!





And OH-MY-FREAKIN-NOSH!!! The Codmother certainly delivers. She waves her magic wand and gives you the fried fish of your dreams. You can eat your hearts desire on this one, because even the portion size is large and filling. Perfect. Crispy. Golden battered perfection. So perfect, I can’t help but overuse that word… so let me break out the thesaurus. It’s flawless, delectably impeccable. Can the Codmother Fish & Chips just magically teleport a lunch order all the way from Cali to me here in NYC, right now? Before I took a bite out of this hunk of a fried fish, I wondered if I was going to be mainly eating a sleeve of crispy batter with codfish remnants. I was happy to taste not only the fresh quality, but also the fish was a plentiful from the sea and didn’t fall apart. I’ve noticed a lot of other fish filets in my travels around Cali would break up into itty bitty pieces upon the first few bites.

If you think these fish & chips look good, just wait until you try it. Mark this up as one of my most nosh-tastic fried fish. A local gave us a short backstory to the Codmother Fish & Chips. After a British woman moved to San Francisco, she noticed the lack of good, quality fish & chips, which is a home staple in London. She took matters into her own hands, now giving Americans such credible eats inspired from her original ocean side. I haven’t been to London myself (yet, someday maybe, hopefully!), but if this British-native owned SF food truck resembles anything like the ones from her mother country, I can’t imagine how more splendid fish & chips can get than this.


Bottom Line: Oh my nosh! It’s flawless, delectably impeccable. Simply divine. From the perfectly crispy, golden battered outer layer to the chunks of codfish waiting inside that won’t fall apart. Nosh-tastic!

Happy Noshing, Jeanne

DATE: Summer 2015


496 Beach St, San Francisco, CA 94133

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate