Pokenom nom nom - gotta catch 'em all!

You guys! It's been a long minute since I've shared about my gastroadventures. I do have some good reasons for being absent for so long. I've missed you all so much.

Living in a new city, making new friends, finding a job I love all while missing my friends and family is a lot harder than I anticipated. The last year in my new town has been filled with ups and downs and most days I just wanted to enjoy my company and savor the moment along with the food.

Secondly, Jeanne and I took some time to update the look of our site and set a nicer table for our readers. We wanted to take it from plastic picnic table cloth to trendy linen table cloth.

And on to the food!

Out of the blue one day everyone on yelp was talking about Poke Bowls. I thought it was a trend I'd missed out on and in one of those lazy moments I thought meh I'll get to one eventually. I'm the worst at keeping up with trends. A coworker did bring one in and he let me take a nibble. It was pretty tasty. Typically thought I bring my lunch from home so I don't get many chances to be adventurous during work hours. By the time it was the weekend and I could suggest a poke bowl to my husband I'd already forgotten about them. So fast forward to tonight.  I'm lucky because my husband doesn't trust my cooking so he makes all my meals, no complaints here. Anyway, I got home and found no dinner made! Since he was already asleep, I scribbled a little note telling my husband I was going to back out because I forgot there was no dinner, and I went out for a walk. Around the corner, exactly .2 miles according to yelp there is a sandwich shop I wanted to try. Well I got there and it was no longer a sandwich shop, it was  Poke Poke.  "Oh, yea!!! I forgot I wanted to try this," I thought to myself and sauntered in. I love menus that break down your order for you. It means I don't have to read the entire thing before choosing an item. It means I can read a few choices at a time and make small decisions one at a time. Spoiler alert: I suffer from decision paralysis when it comes to food menus. So, easily enough I ordered a "Lil. White Rice. Spicy. With cucumbers, avocado, carrots, and ambitiously a little bit of sambal."


When I got my small I thought wow small is really small and I just paid $10?! But as I started eating it I realized that this was just a deconstructed sushi roll and if I had ordered this in sushi roll form, this amount of ahi tuna and rice would've been well above $10 so I was fine with the pricing. There was a lot of tuna, and not a lot of rice. Lots of the toppings and sriracha and green onions and sesame oil and it was pretty darn delicious. The fish was slightly colder than room temperature and the rice was slightly above room temperature and it made for a nice balance of texture. The fish was very tender and evenly coated with the sauce it was tossed in. There was a decent amount of onions, carrots and cucumbers and just enough avocado to help squelch some of the heat from the sambal. Why oh why did I think sambal was a good idea? I know because there weren't that many things on the toppings list other than the veggies that I recognized and in a panic of feeling like a boring eater I picked the one exotic item I knew I'd had before. Must be part of my food paralysis. Anyway If I had had a pinch more rice to cut the heat it would've been perfect. Or next time I won't add sambal to something labeled "spicy." Duh.

Final thought: I think it's hard to have a hearty meal that also makes you feel like you just had a salad, but that's pretty much what happened. I enjoyed it and I feel like I didn't violate the "eat better" plan I put myself on four days ago.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate