West Coast Eats: Must Rave & Fave This Mexican Taqueria

DATE: Summer 2015
LOCATION: La Super Rica Taqueria
622 N Milpas St, Santa Barbara, CA 93103

It may be dangerous for this sweeping statement I’m about to make but - La Super Rica Taqueria by far may have been the best Mexican food I’ve ever had to date. (And it’s been almost 2 summers ago that I’ve been here. 2 years and the food there still sticks out in my mind. Now only if I could get another morsel back on my tongue and in my belly!) So it wasn’t a surprise to me when I found out that this location was also raved and faved by THE famous Julia Child.


Driving to this white and teal-trimmed taco stand, it looks like a regular, local corner-neighborhood spot. It's casual and unassuming, a no frills atmosphere but plenty of seating room. (Actually, it's so unassuming that they don't even have a website.) Grab a table while you wait to claim your food from the pick-up window, also where you'll grab extra salsa and hot sauces.

Horchata
I ordered the Horchata to drink in the meantime. This Mexican drink was sweet and oddly familiar tasting that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. When it finally hit me, I realized it tasted like when you drink the leftover bowl of milk after it’s been saturated with cinnamon-toast crunch cereal. Sweet, cinnamon tasting milk. Enjoyable drink but not sure if it’s something I’d have to have again.

After much anticipation, we took our spread to the table and no other words can explain what happened after except - OH.MY.NOSH!!! Before I even give a rundown of each plate or which were my faves, just look! Look below and see all the delectable, melded goodness!
Chile Relleno

Chile relleno de queso con crema - Pepper stuffed, drenched, sopped and slathered in creamy cheese sauce. Need I say more?

Rajas
Rajas - Sauteed strips of chile pasilla with onions, melted cheese, and herbs on 2 corn tortillas


Lomito Suizo
Lomito Suizo - Grilled marinated pork with melted cheese between 2 corn tortillas.

Super-Rica Especial

#16 Super-Rica Especial - roasted chile pasilla stuffed with cheese, with marinated pork & 3 tortillas

Ok, it's really hard to say which was my favorite here, because it was ALL SO GOOD! So instead of deciding which stood out the best, I'd have to say the Lomito Suizo just stands out the least. I don't recall being disappointed by it, but I can't remember loving it as much as the others. It's a tiebreaker between the Rajas and the Super-Rica Especial. If I ever went back to Santa Barbara, I don't think I could do without either one. The Chile Relleno was just so pleasing. Each of these plates had such a gooey, melty, savory taste that you wish never stopped. I'm still missing La Super-Rica's food. *wistful tear* And their prices, super budget-friendly! THIS is what Mexican food is supposed to look like. Unlike the way over-priced plates we get here in NYC. I could go on & on about how much I loved the food here, and it's fun to know in a sliver of a way, I'm in the same company of Julia Child in our adoration for this place. After all, "People who love to eat are the best kind of people" ~ Julia Child



Bottom Line: OH MY NOSH! Bring cash (it's cash only) and hurry your way to this quaint taqueria. Great taste without taking a hit on the wallet, you can actually get change to spare. The #16 Super Rica Especial TRULY is special. Rajas are also a must and why not go for the chile relleno too! You'll still be savoring this until your next meal at La Super Rica Taqueria!

Happy Noshing, Jeanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate