Una hungry girl, Dos Toros, Tres co-workers

DATE: August 14, 2015
LOCATION: Dos Toros Taqueria
11 Carmine Street, West Village

Hello Hello!


I had a Trader Joe's salad waiting for me today, but then I was tempted by a much more appealing option (no offense TJ, I still love your pre-made lunches). My coworkers invited me to go to Dos Toros Taqueria, a Chipotle-like place that I have walked by twice a day for a year without ever going in to try it. The inside of the restaurant is very much like a make shift Chipotle, with lots of uneven wooden tables and none of the industrial metallic details that distinguish the competitor's locales.

First I wasn't sure how to remove the snuggly fitted top of my card-boardy container. I know I sound stupid, but I envisioned me pulling too hard and ending up with a burrito bowl as a new shirt. Anyway, I anti-climatically removed the lid, took a quick glance and all of the food I was about to taste, snapped a photo and was on my way. 


I ordered from the Carmine Street location and walked for about 7 minutes back to my office desk, and the meal was already luke warm. No worries I was so hungry I didn't want to wait for some scalding meal to cool down anyway. Did I mention this place is Chipotle-like? The one difference was the rice. Chipotle has cilantro lime white rice, and Dos Toros has a more latin, yellow rice. Think Puerto Rican rice if you are familiar with it. I asked for the medium sauce, but either it wasn't very medium or they didn't put enough of it because I didn't taste it. I wish I could say it blew me away and that it was WAY better than Chipotle. But it didn't and it wasn't. It was almost 95% exactly the same meal. Fortunately I love Chipotle, so I also, and equally, loved my Dos Toros Carnitas bowl. Oh one other major difference before I sign off, you know when they say 'guac? eets a lil extra' and you say 'urgh i KNOW'... Well at Dos Toros, it really is only a LITTLE extra, only 92¢!





Adios!
Estha Fiesta







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate