My Apron isn't Blue, it's just an Old House Dress

RESTAURANT:  In my kitchen
DATE: May 2015
LOCATION: you don't need to know where I live


My boyfriend won't eat anything I make, except for a key lime pie. My best friend tried to sign me up for Worst Cooks in America. They're jerks. I've lived alone for 5 years, I rarely order take out and yes some of my meals have been a little bit of a half-assed effort, but I've made due just fine, thank you very much. Having said that I don't really enjoy the process of cooking, I want it to be done fast so I can watch my stories on TV. But usually fast meals aren't good meals. I love the supermarket but it overwhelms me, the options are infinite and I can never figure out a menu plan for myself. It usually ends in me making myself beans and ground beef chili and eating it for a whole week! In any case I thought it was time I try one of those curated recipe/grocery delivery services that are so popular with the millennials these days. 


Meal #1 Fish Tacos with Pea Guacamole and pea tip salad

Do not start off any cooking endeavor the way I did. I didn't read the directions once all the way through before beginning. Instead I started with step 1, having no idea what step 2 was going to be and then being surprised and panicking because things are not timed out properly. For example step 1 said to preheat the oven which takes about 10 minutes. But then I wasn't putting anything in until the last step! So, was I supposed to do all the steps in 10 minutes!? I felt nervous keeping my empty oven on for so long mostly because I thought it would explode. It did not, but still it's best to read all the steps first. Long story short- I ate all 4 tacos, even though the serving size was only 2, because they were delicious!

Things I learned: golden beets are delicious, Pistachios and peas are delicious in your guacamole, I need to learn the differences between zest and mince and dice, pea tips are just little green leaves and jalapeños have "ribs"
Injuries sustained: hot oil splatter burns, food coma  

Meal #2 Chicken Mole Quesadilla with cabbage slaw

Learning from the food coma caused by eating 2 servings of the first meal, I only ate one serving this time. The amount of chicken was obscene. I thought I was going to start clucking about after I finished. Mole sauce is chocolate based, and in retrospect I would've cooked the chicken without it and eaten it for dessert. The cabbage salad was tasty and overall it was a fine meal, simply not my favorite.

Things I learned: nothing really, I already knew how to make quesadillas. 
Injuries sustained: grated my finger, and burned my finger touching the pan by mistake  

Meal #3 Pork and Tomatillo Pozole

For some reason I was not looking forward to this meal, and it turned out to be the easiest to make and my absolute favorite. Pozole is a soup, and this one in particular had pork, tomatillos, onions, garlic, radishes, avocado, cilantro and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). The whole thing was so delicious and warm and flavorful and yummy and nom nom nom! Of the 3 meals, this one wins "most likely to be made again!"

Things learned: pepitas = pumpkin seeds, and I love to eat them toasted
Injuries sustained: sliced a finger nail using the mandolin
cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood & Spice, Everything's Nice and Juicy!

Diggy Diggy!

West Coast Eats: Pacific & Atlantic Oysters Step Up to the Plate